Overhaul Continues

| June 5, 2013 | 2 Comments

The cylinders were looking pretty good for the most part, but there were a few blemishes that my dad thought needed to be addressed.  We started off just measuring the 6 different locations suggested by the manual to see if it was just instead to go with a bigger bore.  Fortunately, the cylinders were well under the maximum allowed, so I headed down to AutoZone to get a hone.  These run typically around $26, but AutoZone has a loaner program where you pay fill price for it, but if you return it in satisfactory condition you get all your money back.  Unfortunately, nobody seems to  go this far anymore when overhauling an engine, so none of the employees could tell me what type of lubricant was best to use, and they didn’t sell anything specific.  A quick search on the interwebs showed people typically using a light coating of 10W30 and so that’s what we used.

hone

Gave those cylinders some hone. Cylinders love hone.

Everything went really well, and we were able to get the cylinders looking perfect.  We remeasured everything just to be sure and all was well.  I then when through a measured the gapping on all rings.  Those were just barely under the maximum allowed, which was worrying, but the pistons are in tip top shape fortunately.  New rings typically run upwards of $60 for one set, so at first I was just willing to keep using what I had.  Fortunately, an Ebay-er was auctioning off all three brand new original standard sized sets for $69, and I got lucky enough to get them for just that!

Next was the head –

valve-spring

I still hadn’t picked up a valve spring compression tool.  My dad told me we’d just make one then with a C clamp and some machined aluminum.

spring-tool

Unfortunately the first one didn’t have a large enough area to easily get the clips.  I grabbed an extendable magnet and was able to suck them out just fine though.  Valves and springs removed we checked for play in the guides, checked the compression of the springs, and made sure the valves themselves weren’t bent.  All that checked out, but then my dad noticed one of the intake valve guides was cracked…. shit!

cracked-valve-guide

These little buggers are ridiculously expensive, plus the manual said it must be taken to a dealership for specific tooling required.  Fortunately, I’m doing this all with the help of a machinist, so he did some searching on the interwebs and found what to do.  First we needed to create a tool out of aluminum that could be inserted into the valve guide, but also would sit flush on the end of it.  My dad rummaged through his piles of scrap and found something long enough.  It had to be aluminum because steel isn’t as soft and forgiving.  He took some measurements, and this is what we came up with –

removal-tool

And here is how it lined up with the new guide –

guide-with-tool

We then took the head down to the local car wash and blasted it as clean as possible while letting an oven heat up to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.   We also put the new guide in the freezer to get it good and cold.  Once we got back and got the head in the oven and up to temperature we then proceeded to knock out the old one –

lining-it-up

in-goes-the-new-one

The old one took quite a few wacks, but finally popped out.  I then grabbed the new one out of the freezer and we taped it in.  Right when we got it in, my dad noticed on the old guide a small rubber O-ring.  CRAP!!!  We quickly hammered out the new one, added the O-ring, and then tapped it back in.  Mission accomplished!!

Next it was time to lap the valves and the valve seats.  These puppies looked like crap!

shitty-valves

The intake seats looked okay, but the exhaust seats and valves were pitted bad.  I’d got a lapping tool and lapping compound and started working on em.  That suction cup on the lapping tool was really shitty though, and I spent more time trying to get that to work than not.  So, my dad rigged up something to use with his cordless drill and we went to town.  We only got so far though before my time was up, so this is where we’ll take it up next time.  Once that’s done we’ll also need to check the clearance and see if some new shims for the valve ends are needed.

The wheels are ready for powder coating finally!  Gonna be hitting everything with Satin Black except the ridges on the spokes.  My dad put some high temperature tape on to make it through the process –

rim

I was seriously hoping to have this bike done by the end of this month and finally get to riding, but I’ve already blown my budget for this month on all the extra parts.  I did get a screaming deal on a gasket kit from Steve Lloyd Parts as well as a new throttle and clutch cable for clip-on handle bars.  This weekend we should be getting close to putting the engine back together if we don’t require new shims, but I’m also waiting on a new timing chain from England to show up.  Here’s hoping we get to start putting the bike back together at least by then end of the month!

Thanks for reading.

Filed in: My Projects
×

2 Comments on "Overhaul Continues"

Trackback | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Kohle Hansen says:

    Its coming right along man! I am so stoked to finally see that jockey rocket rolling down the street!

Post a Comment